Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Social networking

As stated in previous blog the common advice is to use links to social networks as well as blogs, web sites and twitter accounts to market books. After seting up my web site and blog I joined facebook and started a twittter account. Facebook is interesting because I found that many of my high school classmates are on it. I was surprised to find so many older people on a social network site. I suspect it's an influence of grandkids. Anyway it was neat to find them and now I can suggest that they buy my book as a gift for their kids and grandkids. Twitter was also a fun surprise. Via some unknown to me process it linked me to one of my granddaughters who is in college. I figured she wouldn't want grandpa following her so sent a note asking. Surprisingly she said she didn't mind. I can't imagine that I would have wanted my grandma to follow me if I had had Twitter when I was in college. Maybe she is just being polite.
Getting off track. I am finding that it takes quite some time to set up these social network sites. I think I let it go too long. I would advise an author to set up all sites at the time the draft is finished. That way you can expand them and get used to tending them before your book comes out. In my case I intend, since I have a business related self help book, to use LinkedIn as my primary social network site. Facebook will augment it but at this point I think I can reach many more people on LinkedIn that would be interested in my book. Will let you know if I change my mind as I get more familiar with facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers