Search This Blog

Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Twitter "Aha"

I think I am figuring out twitter. I started a twitter account because the book marketing advice said to. I flailed around for a week or so before I got a hint that to acquire followers you need to follow people. Then I had to learn how to find people that I wanted to follow. More advice was to download tweetdeck; which I did  and that helped some but not to easily find the people I am interested in. Finally, I asked another twitterer and got the answer on how to use tweetdeck. It worked and I am not building followers. More importantly I think I am beginning to see how to use twitter and why it's valuable.There are many things that we do that have  to do with either sharing information (our blogs and web sites) or seeking information (e.g. via search engines). However, there are some types of information that need to be shared with people directly and some types of information that other people can supply faster and easier than by other means. This is where twitter shines. It connects you easily and quickly with other people that you want to share information with or seek information from. It takes some investment of time to build the right connections. I see this as a winnowing process. Follow many people then some of them will follow you. Many will drop you and you will drop many but over time you can build the right connections with people that you want to share with and that you want information from. Now, I am going to try this approach for a week or so and see if it works as well as I think it might.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers